Passive Voice and When to Use It
Use of the passive voice in writing is often frowned upon and it is frequently used incorrectly. A passive voice misuse fixer is one method for writers to ensure they are making proper use of the passive voice. The two grammatical voices in writing are the active voice and the passive voice. A sentence with a subject that acts upon its verb is said to have an active voice. When the subject is the recipient of a verbs action then a passive voice is being used. Students are often taught that it is incorrect to use the passive voice but there are some cases where it makes good sense. When you wish to emphasize an action, use a more formal tone, provide anonymity or offer a sense of objectivity the use of the passive voice is appropriate. In most other instances the active voice is preferred. Sentences are usually more concise and easier to understand in active voice and the pacing of your writing is generally improved.
Technically using the passive voice is not grammatically incorrect. The reason it is discouraged is because using the active voice comes across better. For example the following statement is in the passive voice:
“There is an extensive range of programming skills demonstrated by the computer hackers.”
The statement is a little weak and wordy. By moving the subject to the beginning of the sentence and throwing away “There is” you end up with a sentence that uses the active voice.
“The computer hackers demonstrated an extensive range of programming skills.”
It makes a firmer statement and is more concise. Another simple example is the following 2 statements:
Passive voice: “The ball was thrown by Joe”
Active voice: “Joe threw the ball”
They both say the same thing but in the passive example you must wait until the end of the sentence to find out who is performing the action so the sentence has less impact and is wordier than that using the active voice. Sometimes to fix passive voice mistakes you need only move the subject to the beginning of the sentence as in the examples provided. However, it can be difficult to know how to correct passive voice errors that aren’t as obvious. One option is to use a passive voice translator or active to passive voice converter tool to assist you in recognizing and correcting passive voice mistakes.
10 Reasons to Use a Passive Voice Editor
It is hard enough to recognize passive voice mistakes let alone correct them. If you are unsure how to change passive voice to active there is no need to despair. The following are 10 reasons why you should use a passive voice checker online free and active to passive converter online to assist you with writing assignments:
- To identify when you are using passive voice correctly. Once you have determined you have correctly used passive voice in a sentence you no longer have to worry about correcting it and can move on with active to passive generator.
- Identifying when passive voice is used incorrectly. Find out what sentences need to be edited for passive voice mistakes.
- Editing mistakes. A passive voice fixer not only identifies mistakes but also makes suggestions on how they can be corrected.
- Letting you know when an action is being emphasized over subject. In some cases, it is desirable to highlight the action rather than the subject.
- Making your writing more concise. Sentences that use passive voice tend to use more words than those using active voice. A passive voice editor will identify when you are using an abundance of passive statements.
- Making your writing easier to understand. Passive voice can be more difficult to comprehend than writing in an active voice.
- Come across as more objective. Often in academic writing, you want to come across as objective. Passive voice has a more objective ring to it and recognizing and editing active voice sentences and changing them to passive voice can be achieved with an active to passive voice converter.
- Adopt a more formal tone. Identify active voice passages with passive and active voice converter online tool that can be altered to passive voice to give your paper a more formal tone.
- Save time. Editing and polishing even a short paper can take hours. Using an online voice checker can help you finish your edits in a fraction of the time.
- Produce better papers and other written text. It is difficult to edit yourself. An online writing tool like a passive voice checker will often catch mistakes you overlook.
The passive voice recognizer isn’t limited to just checking for passive and active voice in writing. Active to passive sentence converter also performs spelling, grammar and punctuation checks and examines tone and word usage. The tool works on any kind of paper which explains why it is so popular with students, bloggers, writers and others who have to produce written content
How to Use Passive Voice Translator
One of the best things about the passive voice converter is how easy it is to use. The basics steps for using the tool are as follows:
- Copy and paste your text to the provided field then click the button to submit.
- Check the results. A report will be provided of various mistakes along with suggestions to correct them
- Make the suggested adjustments to your text
After completing all the suggested edits you will end up with well-polished text ready to be submitted for whatever purpose it is intended for. Whether you are unsure how to fix passive voice in writing problems or would just like to speed up the editing and polishing process this is an excellent tool.